League – 2 Oxford maintain unbeaten start

Oxford United kept up their 100% away record in this season’s League 2 at Burton Albion. Alfie Potter opened the scoring for the away side after Ian Sharps was sent off for the home side for a kick out at Dave Kitson. Danny Rose sealed victory and in the process destroyed Burton’s previous unbeaten start.

Cheltenham twice came from behind to peg back Portsmouth at Whaddon Road. Patrick Agyemang opened the scoring for Pompey after five minutes, before Jermaine McGlashan levelled for the Robins. Johannes Ertl gave Pompey the lead again on the stroke of half time, but it was McGlashan who again proved to be the scourge of Portsmouth as he scored a last minute equaliser to rescue a point for Cheltenham.

Accrington remain winless after a narrow defeat at Chesterfield. The Speirites got a slice of luck for the only goal of the match, with Marc Richards hitting a post only for Tendayi Darikwa to prod home the rebound. Stanley are still bottom of the table.

Dagenham and Redbridge welcomed Exeter to the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham stadium for a clash between two sides with contrasting seasons last season. Dagenham fought off relegation, whilst Exeter almost made the play-offs. The Daggers took a lead they deserved after 20 minutes when Artur Krysiak’s clearance fell straight to John Nurse, who duly converted the chance. Sam Parkin saved his goalkeeper’s bacon by levelling for the Grecians 10 minutes from time.

Torquay’s long trip from Devon to Fleetwood was all in vain as they were comfortably swept aside at Highbury. The rout started when Antoni Sarcevic opened the scoring with 10 minutes gone. He doubled his tally before the break before Jamille Matt killed the game off in the second half. Matty Blair completed the scoring after Elliot Benyon’s consolation.

Hartlepool’s first league goal of the season wasn’t enough to stop them crashing to defeat at home to Wycombe. The visitors took the lead through Max Kretszhmar’s first senior goal. He then doubled hs career tally with a fine finish after a Wycombe counter-attack. Hartlepool got one back through James Poole’s close range header, but it was too little, too late.

The battle of the two promoted clubs ended in stalemate in Wales. Chris Zebroski scored shortly before half-time with a neat finish before Mansfield’s second half equaliser courtesy of Sam Clucas. Both sides finished a man light, as Lee Minshull was sent off for an elbow and Matt Rhead took an early bath for two yellow cards.

Northampton and Scunthorpe played out a draw at Sixfields. The opening goal came midway through the second half as Niall Canavan headed in from a corner. Clive Platt rescued the Cobblers, who are still yet to find their feet this season.

The West-Country derby fell in the favour of Plymouth Argyle at Home Park. The Green Army were jubilant after Reuben Reid’s late free kick killed off Bristol Rovers, who were closely beaten by local rivals Bristol City in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy in midweek. The Pirates could not find a response and went home with nothing to show for their efforts.

Rochdale saw off Bury at Spotland despite being down to 10 men for over 50 minutes. They scored just before the red card thanks to Scott Hogan’s close range finish, before Peter Vincenti was sent off. Dale held out for a crucial three points over their Greater Manchester rivals.

Morecambe won three league games in a row for the first time since joining the Football League to tarnish Southend’s strong home record. The Shrimpers took the lead via Kevan Hurst’s deflected strike, but only for Morecambe to equalise through  Andrew Fleming just 5 minutes later. They then went ahead just seconds into the second half, and Jack Simpson put daylight between the two 10 minute later. Substitute Robbie Threlfall got first go on the showers for Morecambe after a lunge, but the Shrimps held off the Shrimpers.

AFC Wimbledon kept up their strong start to League this season away at York. The Wombles led through Michael Smith on half-an-hour. Smith then doubled his tally with 20 minutes to go, to keep Wimbledon in the play offs.







Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s